Really scared about EGD upper GI endoscopy tomorrow, could use some positive input!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

So, as the title says, I’ve got to go in for an upper GI endoscopy tomorrow. Like some other people here, I have some digestive issues related to my anxiety, and I’ve also had a bit of acid reflux, so my doctor scheduled this test for me. 

Now, while I am a bit scared about the results revealing something awful, the main thing I am terrified about is the procedure itself. I was under the impression that I’d be unconscious, but I just found out that it utilizes something called “conscious sedation”, and that aspect of it is what I find to be really freaky. It sounds like a really unpleasant procedure and I’d love to hear from other people with anxiety who have had it done.

I find myself worrying about something going wrong in the procedure, or that I’ll have a bad reaction to the sedative, or that it’s going to be an agonizing process. I didn’t realize I was actually going to be awake for it!  

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I can help with this one- I actually went through an endoscopy with NO sedation, purely because I was so terrified of any type of anesthetic . Then I had to have a colonoscopy,   and there was no avoiding it. Im so terrified of these things I got myself into such an awful state over it, but- it was fine, actually better than fine- You feel a little pinch on the back of your hand, go to count backwards to 5, and then nothing till you wake up back in bed. You wont feel a thing, its a wondrous type of sedation because you almost wake up instantly, nothing like a full anesthetic, and no after effects- Im not sure exactly what they use, but its a deep sedation and I had it again about a year ago, and was happy to have it. The very best of luck with it all x 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, that does put me more at ease! I have a pretty big medical phobia, so I’ve been working myself up quite a bit about this one. 
    • Posted

Steven- you dont need to tell me about that, its just so ridiculous, I literally nearly had a nervous breakdown over it- so I really feel for you- It will will will be ok- come back tomorrow evening and let us know.. 
  • Posted

Hi Steven,

I have had this done. I was worried sick beforehand...I have health anxiety and so had convinced myself it was all going to go horribly wrong somehow. I can honestly say it really wasn’t that bad. I had sedation, but I’m not sure how much it worked because I do remember the whole process. It was a bit unpleasant when the camera first went in but then it was fine...was over in a jiffy (that may have been the sedation that made it feel like that). I was back to normal within half an our if it finishing. I know it’s much easier said than done but try not to worry - they do so many of these that they are experts at doing them. Wishing you luck!

• Posted

Thanks! It sounds like your experience wasn’t that bad at all, which does make me feel better to hear. It seems I may have been turning this into a bigger deal than it really is. 
  • Posted

You guys were right, it was a piece of cake. The sedative was lovely. Not only that, but the doc said everything looked great and that it was just minor acid reflux, he took a tissue sample to analyze for allergies and potential celiac, I’ll find out if I have any dietary restrictions in the follow up appointment. The procedure itself was nothing, I woke up without even realizing it had happened. 
    • Posted

That’s great news!! And well done for braving it...not an easy thing to do when you’re worried. These things are never usually as bad as we build them up in our heads are they. I’m glad that everything looked fine!! 😊

• Posted

So pleased to read this, been thinking about you all day and wondering how it went- best possible result, well done you....

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New Discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

виагра таблетки отзывы

купить сиалис через интернет

средства повышающие потенцию у мужчин